Menu

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Nutella Swirled Banana Muffins

Nutella Swirl Banana Muffins from Kiley Creates These are SO good! Kid approved!
I am really excited about this one because its my first recipe I actually (almost) created myself! I am still learning the science of baking, so I'm not ready to put ingredients together without a guideline, but the Nutella swirl idea was all me!!

My mom makes a darn good banana bread. My little picky eater would take the loaf and eat it for every meal if he could...and has. Some days, I just don't feel like battling that hard headed boy. I don't feel guilty. Don't judge me. With proof that he loves banana bread, I knew these would be a hit. And to add a bonus, the Nutella swirl because he would eat an entire container of Nutella if given the chance. Who doesn't love Nutella?

I opted for a super healthy recipe for the muffins, that were sugar and egg free, with applesauce replacing the eggs and honey replacing the sugar. They were also made with wheat flour which made them a little denser and drier than all purpose flour. My picky eater hated them. Of course he did. Whats weird is that my other son who usually doesn't like banana bread loves them! I also thought they were super good, and I never pick sugar free anything! It was nice to not have to feel guilty about eating multiple ones. And an added bonus, I could feed them to my 10 month old who is almost exclusively breastfed. So all in all I give this recipe a 9 out of 10. Picky eater scored it as a 0.  You can find the recipe here by Cooking With Ruthie. I promise, you won't be disappointed!

I was determined to get my little picky eater to like my muffins. I found a basic recipe (not nearly as healthy, and added a couple things of my own to make them perfect for me.

First I sprayed my muffin tin with Pam. I was going to use cups, but ran out on the first batch and really didn't want to waste more.

I mixed the dry ingredients, then in a separate bowl mashed the bananas with a potato masher. I added in the wet ingredients and mixed with a hand mixer. I added in the dry ingredients and mixed them together with a spoon.

I melted the Nutella so it would swirl easier, 10 seconds at a time in the microwave until I felt it was right. I put about a teaspoon per cup. I started swirling with a knife, but found a tooth pick worked much better.

After a few minutes in the oven, the whole house started smelling delicious. I was really excited!
They look absolutely amazing. They're fluffy and moist and taste super good. I'm so proud of them!! The verdict is in, and my picky eater gives them a 10!!

Nutella Swirl Banana Muffins from Kiley Creates These are SO good! Kid approved!
Nutella Swirl Banana Muffins from Kiley Creates These are SO good! Kid approve
d!
I think they may be one of the best baked goods I've ever made. It was hard to save some for pictures! I hope you love them as much as I did!

Nutella Swirl Banana Muffins from Kiley Creates These are SO good! Kid approved!
3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 ripe bananas mashed
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1/4-1/2 cup Nutella

Preheat your oven to 350°

Spray your muffin pan with nonstick spray and set aside.

Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a small bowl

Mix bananas, sugar, butter, vanilla and egg in bigger bowl until smooth

Add in flour mixture slowly, continuing to stir until everything is combined.

Let stand for 3 -5 minutes

Melt Nutella for up to 30 seconds, in 10 second increments.

Spoon muffin fixture into muffin pan about 3/4 the way full.

Add about a t-spoon of Nutella to each cup. Swirl with a toothpick.

Bake for 8-14 minutes.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment